Friday, July 19, 2013

Go See Pacific Rim



I saw Pacific Rim, and I fucking loved it. Domestically it didn't do as well as I hoped it would, but it still did well. Plus, the reviews are all fairly good too! It's currently clocking in at 71% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's exciting for me to work on something that people are having fun seeing. I think most the people I know would totally dig it.

More than that, you can see it as a family. I think ten and above would be fine with it, but to be safe, maybe twelve and above. It features a strong female lead that isn't just eye candy, and doesn't need to fall in love with the boy to define her character. I really like all the characters, and I love the message of unity, and coming together.

It's a great film for that age set; kids and adults who aren't afraid to be a kid. It feels like it's made for that group, the adventure film goers. The Star Wars and Indy lovers. Instead of taking a comic book character and turning them into something strictly for adults, coming up with a dark and serious tone, while still selling toys to young kids; it feels like a film that caters to child like wonderment. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of those films, but I'm taking my daughter to Pac Rim, but won't let her watch The Dark Knight any time soon.

Here are two pieces I did for the film. They're both in the artbook. One is all me, and the one with the bones is based on a Oscar Chichoni sketch.

Anyway, go and see it. It's not going to be the same on your TV. Honestly.

Watch it with your heart and have fun.

Ron Perlman's shoes.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

I loved it, man. Saw it twice in theaters-- something I haven't done in a long while.

Anthony Francisco said...

It was really cool. It reminded me of my childhood in the Philippines watching Voltes 5 and Diamos. Japanese big robot cartoons.